Obesity is caused by taking in more calories than you can burn off. The best way to rid yourself of excess weight is to eat well and exercise regularly.
Eating well includes reducing the amount of salt, sugar and fat you consume. Pay close attention to food labels as a lot of these ingredients are hidden. Try to eat freshly prepared meals each day that include a majority of vegetables, fruits and low-fat meat. Limit dairy, fatty meats, pastries and biscuits.
If you need help speak to your doctor or enquire about weight loss clinics at your local surgery. The Eatwell Guide is a document produced by the government that explains what you should eat to consume a balanced diet and stay healthy. It's worth reading if you need help understanding what you should eat. In general, you should aim for:
- Low-fat dairy, such as low-fat yogurt, cheese and milk
- Lean meat, fish, poultry, beans, and peas
- Whole-grain foods, such as wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta and brown rice
- Fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables
When you eat your food, do so sitting down and pay attention to your meal. It's easy to over-eat when watching the television or using the internet. Eating your food slowly and pay attention to its flavour. This will help you feel fuller and more satisfied after eating. Choose fruit for dessert and wait at least twenty minutes before serving extra. It takes the body at least twenty minutes to feel full.
Exercise is an important weight loss tool. Sedentary lifestyles leave much of the population sitting in front of a computer screen all day followed by watching TV or using the internet at home in the evening. Exercise is not a daily part of life any longer.
To lose weight you need to exercise for two and a half to five hours a week. You don't need to pay for a gym membership. Walking and jogging are free and help you burn away excess fat as well as improving your circulation and mood. Classes and group sports are social ways to stay active and you are more likely to do it if others are relying on you. Try teaming up with a friend who wants to lose weight too. This is particularly helpful in the cold winter months.
You should try to fit exercise into your daily routine so it becomes second nature. Walking children to school, climbing the stairs, walking during your lunch break, gardening and bike riding at the weekend are all forms of exercise that will help you lose weight.
As well as losing weight exercise will benefit you by:
- Lowering your risk for heart disease, diabetes and cancer
- Strengthening your heart
- Strengthen your muscles
- Building your immune system
- Building strong bones
- Boosting energy levels
- Helps you cope with stress
- Helps you fall asleep at night
If you struggle to diet and exercise join a weight loss group for encouragement and support. Your doctor can tell you where they meet. Online groups be a huge support too, and don't cost anything.
There isn't a lot of research into hypnotherapy for weight loss. It may be suitable for some people, but for others it will have no noticeable effect. Ask your doctor for a recommendation if you want to try hypnotherapy.
There are many over-the-counter pills and herbal remedies that may help with weight loss. These are not clinically proven but there is anecdotal evidence they have aided weight loss in some individuals. These types of medicines can cause diarrhoea. You should always follow the instructions to avoid side effects and complications.
A Doctor's Check Up
Sometimes obesity can be caused by a medical condition such as an overactive thyroid. Individuals who have painful diseases such as arthritis find it difficult to exercise. Ask your doctor for a check up if you can't lose weight and for a referral to a specialist who can help you formulate an exercise plan that takes into account your pain levels.
If you have tried all natural methods of weight loss and are still obese, your doctor may prescribe you Orlistat. Orlistat is the active ingredient found in the prescription weight loss medicines Xenical. It's the only proven one available in the UK. Xenical works by blocking fat absorption. It prevents to 30% of the fat you consume from digestion so it is simply flushed straight through your body. It must be used in conjunction with a healthier lifestyle to take effect.
You may be prescribed Orlistat if your BMI is over 28 and you have weight-related issues, or your BMI is over 30 meaning you are severely obese.
Usually you'll take one capsule with water before, during or straight after your meal. A maximum of three a day can be taken. If you lose 5% of your body weight in three months you can continue with the treatment.
Prescription medicines start working within two days but if you have diabetes the dose may need to be altered. This also applies to high blood pressure and kidney disease cases.
Orlistat isn't suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Weight loss surgery
At the extreme end of the scale, weight loss surgery is only undertaken in serious cases of morbid obesity. A BMI of over 40 and accompanying serious ill health such as diabetes or high blood pressure is required for surgery.
Gastric bypass surgery and gastric bands make only a tiny part of your stomach available to store food, meaning you are full almost immediately. There are all the usual risks of surgery implicated with weight loss surgery, and it should only be considered under your doctor's recommendation and when all other options have failed.
Additional Weight Loss Support and Services
All types of weight loss treatment require support and follow up. It's important to remember that no method is magic or going to produce quick long-lasting results. They need to be used alongside a healthy diet and frequent exercise. Additional weight loss support is an invaluable way to stay on track. These services can help you:
- Your doctor can advise you about losing weight and exercising safely with any medical conditions you have.
- Weight loss groups with other people trying to reduce their BMIs are excellent sources of companionship and encouragement.
- Exercise on prescription may be available. This is when you are prescribed sessions with a qualified trainer to help you lose weight. Your doctor can advise on this.
- Your family and friends can make a big difference. If you usually eat big family meals, try to lose weight and eat healthily as a family. It is very hard to cook and eat a separate low-fat meal when others are enjoying an unhealthy food.
- Weight loss apps can provide you with a daily boost and a method of tracking your progress. Once you see yourself losing weight it is easier to keep going. Motivate yourself with weekly targets and set exercise milestones.
Self Help Advice
- If you find yourself eating mindlessly in front of the TV, make sure you sit to the table or turn off distractions. Concentrating on your food helps you to eat less and appreciate what you are eating. Don't finish other's leftovers e.g. your children's food.
- Starting the day right will lead to controlled blood sugar and fewer cravings. Eat a proper breakfast of fortified low sugar cereal, wholemeal toast or eggs. Skipping breakfast leads to mid-morning snacks usually consisting of sugary food to boost your energy. This type of snack is often fat-filled with little nutritional value.
- Pay attention to when you feel the need to eat. If it is stress-related, find a way to distract yourself such as singing a song, going for a quick walk or putting on an exercise DVD.
- If you spend all day at a desk set your alarm to remind you to keep moving. Get up and stretch your legs as often as you are able. Spend your lunch break walking, and even try keeping some exercise equipment nearby. Light weights or stretching bands are easily used at your desk.
- Get enough sleep. Lack of sleep leads to confused hormones that regulate your appetite. Try to get eight hours regularly.
- Drink water. Often the signals we get from our brain are telling us to drink rather than eat. If you feel hungry try drinking a large glass of water and assess how you feel afterwards. Dehydration also causes tiredness and headaches which are reasons why you may over-eat.
- Don't keep fatty foods in your home. Fill cupboards with healthy foods so if you must snack it is on something healthy. Fruits, nuts, and low-fat yogurts are good options. If you need to leave the house to buy fatty foods you give yourself time to reconsider and get back on track.
How Long Is It Going To Take Me To Lose Weight?
Losing weight will take time. Diet programs that promise rapid weight loss are best avoided. Rapid weight loss can cause illnesses such as anaemia and gallstones and you are more likely to put weight back on. Often the quick weight loss diets rely on a very low calories intake which makes you liable to cheating through hunger.
The best way to lose weight is steady but slow with support and lifestyle changes. This type of weight loss is the kind that stays with you for life. Losing a small amount of weight each week is an achievement and reduces your risk of obesity-related health issues.
Prescription medicines such as Xenical can show noticeable results within two to three months of treatment. To achieve this you must also live a healthy lifestyle with managed diet and exercise.
Cravings are usually the reason why people fail to lose weight, or they lose weight but regain it quickly. Here are some tips for losing weight without the cravings.
As you progress into your new healthy lifestyle your stomach capacity will grow smaller and you will feel less hungry. It's likely you'll stop craving bad foods once you have avoided them for a time. The extra energy and compliments you receive for will help you resist bad foods.
Filling up on fat-free foods is a good way to prevent hunger pains and cravings. Fill up on fruit, nuts and low-fat yoghurts. Don't allow yourself to become hungry. Eat some fruit in between meals and drink lots of water. If you can keep hunger at bay you're less likely to eat bad foods.
Sugary foods are often the ones that lead to the cravings. Chocolate, in particular, gives you a quick boost of energy that is quickly followed by a corresponding down in which you will feel the need to snack on sugar again.
If you usually buy your lunch during the working day take a lunch box of fresh, low-fat foods. Choosing food in a rush with limited options leads to bad choices and can start a new craving cycle.
When you start to think about foods distract yourself. Exercise is the obvious choice; go for a brisk walk or start gardening. If exercise is not on the agenda then read or throw yourself into a task that requires concentration. The craving will pass.
Obesity is the number one problem facing the world today because of the effects it has on health. Being obese leads to serious life threatening disease. It's thought obesity reduces your life expectancy by three to 10 years.
Serious illness that obesity contributes to include:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Metabolic syndrome
- Sleep apnoea
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Pregnancy complications
Alongside these life-threatening and life-limiting diseases obesity reduces your quality of life. The kind of daily problems obesity causes are:
- Muscular and joint pains
- Difficulty doing physical activity
- Feeling very tired
The psychological impacts of obesity can be underestimated. Being obese and unable to involve yourself in activities can lead to isolation and a feeling of rejection. Low self-esteem and depression are reported by people with obesity along with a tendency to dislike themselves and feeling disappointed with their size. These psychological impacts affect relationships with lovers, family and friends.
Obesity is an all-around health problem that affects mind and body. Losing weight is a big factor in feeling healthy, limiting your risk of serious disease and being happy.
If you are overweight or obese losing body fat will undoubtedly improve your quality of life and reduce your risk of serious disease. You can get treatment from your doctor or your local weight loss clinic to get you started. The first step is eating well and exercising. If this has no discernable effect on your health, and if your BMI is high or you are at risk of complications like type 2 diabetes, your doctor may prescribe Xenical.
Xenical is a prescription treatment because it has precautions and may potentially cause side effects. Once you have been prescribed Xenical you can order it online from a reputable company that delivers genuine medication.
Over-the-counter herbal remedies are not likely to help you lose weight if you are unable to reduce your BMI through diet and exercise.
Whatever method you use to lose weight the important aspect is to keep going. Everyone has days when they slip up and eat bad foods, but don't let this ruin the rest of your healthy eating plan. Keep at it to lose your weight steadily and safely.